Ready or not, the summer is coming to an end. Many of us will agree that it went too fast. Soon school will begin, and the crisp early morning breeze will be a reminder that right beyond the start of classes, Fall is fast approaching.
In this Back to School Guide, we are including our tips for school readiness and resources to help your family succeed this 2018-2019 school year.
- 5 Below (Bronx, Greenburgh, Mohegan Lake, Nanuet, Pelham Manor, West Nyack) – Store Locator
- CVS (many locations locally) – Store Locator
- Kmart (Bronx, Mahopac, Valis Gate, White Plains, Yorktown Heights) – Store Locator
- Office Depot/Max (Mohegan Lake, Newburgh) – Store Locator
- Rite Aid (many locations locally) – Store Locator
- Staples (Elmsford, Mt. Kisco, Nanuet, Port Chester, Scarsdale, West Nyack, Yonkers, Yorktown) – Store Locator
- Target (Bronx, Mt. Kisco, Mt. Vernon, Newburgh, Spring Valley, West Nyack, White Plains) – Store Locator
- Value Drugs (Brewster, Briarcliff Manor, Bronxville, Eastchester) – Store Locations
- Walgreens (Many locations locally) – Store Locator
- Walmart (Mohegan Lake, White Plains) – Store Locator
Transitioning from Summer to Fall
Is Summer Really Over? Transitioning from Summer to Fall can be a challenge for some children (and some adults too). In this hilarious and honest post by our contributor Melissa, we see why this parent is not ready for back to school.
1st Day Ready – 4 Tips for a Smooth Transition: Whether you wish you had more summer to enjoy, or you are anxiously awaiting for the first day of school, the clock is ticking. Now is a great time to prepare for smooth transitions. Thankfully, Nancy has broken this down to 4 things we can do in How I’m Transitioning My Family into Back-To-School Mode.
Still Searching for the Right Preschool? In Searching Last Minute for Preschool Gave Me the Jitters, Blanca shares with us the challenges that she faced when searching for a preschool at the last minute, her tips to getting through it, and some very useful resources for parents in the same predicament.
On-Going School Year Transitions: I know what I am about to say might be met with some resistance, especially because its execution can be near impossible, but hear me out: Being organized is extremely helpful during the school year. So, maybe the goal doesn’t have to be perfect organization, since life with a kid or kids can be messy. But there are some goals that can make life easier overall, and that’s all we want for moms.
- 8 Tips to be an Organized Mom
- 5 (Sanity-Saving) Habits for Moms Who Never Stop
- How I Got My Kids to Help with the Housework (and Regained Some of My Sanity)
- Keeping My Family’s Emergency Medical Information at My Fingertips
- Lunchbox Blues at School
Westchester County School Directory
School Closings and Delays
Many schools and daycare centers have their own systems for notifying parents of school delays and cancellations. It’s important that you find out what the procedures are and also come up with a back up plan for care in these instances. School cancellations and delays are also promptly reported by the following local news outlets:
Don’t forget to check!
Our contributor, Kristen shares some myths and lessons learned in The Worst Four Letter Word: LICE.
Medication and Prescriptions: If your child has a food allergy or if they need medication administered during school, you will need to have your child’s physician complete the proper paperwork to be sent in with any medication on the first day of school.
Families of Non-Allergic Children: Ina’s Food Allergies & What They Mean to Your Non-Allergic Child provides some great information and reminders for families of non-allergic children to keep classmates safe this school year.
PTA, Fundraising, and More
Take a look at our Back to School pinterest board, for more great ways to get school year ready!
Are you ready for Back-to-School?