I am so insanely sick of the kitchen. How much cooking can one person withstand?
In March, we were making fancy meals and posting them on the family blog with pride. Today, mealtime fills me with dread. Add to it that I have one gluten-free family member, one who is dairy-free, and one who is vegetarian, so ordering takeout is… complicated.
I’ve been rotating through our super tasty and yet lazy mainstays. They are gluten-free, easy to make, mostly veggie, and my kids either love them or at least don’t hate them.
Big Greek Salad with Garbanzo Beans
1. Cut cucumber in circles, red pepper in chunks, grape tomatoes in halves, and red onion in half-moon strips.
2. Add kalamata olives and garbanzo beans.
3. Sprinkle in feta cheese (or keep on the side).
4. Toss with EVOO, salt, dill, and a squeeze of lemon juice.
5. Serve with toasted pita triangles.
Loaded Nachos (a step above Taco Tuesday)
1. Spread a layer of tortilla chips on a pan.
2. Lay on black beans, chopped red onions, shredded Mexican cheese, and sliced black olives.
3. Put jalapenos on the half the adults will eat.
4. Stick in the oven at 350 degrees until the cheese is melted.
5. Serve with guac and salsa.
1. Roast broccoli, carrots, and sweet potatoes on a sheet (at 450 degrees for 20 minutes).
2. Make some rice.
3. Chop tomatoes, red onion, and avocado.
4. Open a can of black beans or garbanzo beans.
5. Grab the nuts, seeds, fried onions, crushed potato chips, and some herbs from the pantry.
6. Serve in separate bowls for a make your own grain bowl experience.
Surprisingly Tasty One-Bowl Pasta, Veggie, and (optional) Chicken
1. Make spaghetti (gluten-free or regular, of course).
2. Pull apart a rotisserie chicken.
3. Saute green beans, carrots, and strips of onion (or whatever is in the fridge).
4. Toss in a big bowl with some (vegan) pesto sauce.
1. Make a marinade with three parts maple syrup, 1 part balsamic vinegar, and a splash of oil.
2. Put salmon in a glass pan and pour marinade over it.
3. Sprinkle ginger on the salmon.
4. Let marinate in the fridge for at least an hour.
5. Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes.
6. Serve with rice and broccoli.
Indoor gourmet s’mores
1. Toast marshmallows in the toaster oven on 350 until they turn golden brown.
2. Spread graham crackers with Nutella and add toasted marshmallows.
Please share your awesome easy recipes in the comments! I need at least five more.