Summer is here, and us moms are ready to cool down and relax (or try to)! Whether you are traveling or simply relaxing in your backyard all summer, check out my favorite mom hacks that you need to keep your “cool” this summer.
1. No More Messy Popsicles!
Cupcake liners are no longer just for cupcakes! These tin or paper beauties are perfect in creating a “drip-free” summer dessert! Simply poke your Popsicle stick through the bottom of any cupcake liner so that it can “catch” any drips or messes it could create!
2. Bug-Free Drinks
I know I’m not the only one who disgustingly peers into my summer drink to find a bug taking a leisurely swim. Use the same cupcake liners, but this time, place them upside down and through the top of a straw to create a cup barrier!
3. Take the Itch Out of Summer!
Bug bites are inevitable, but I have relatively simple house-hold products that I use to take away the itch. I use both apple cider vinegar or mint toothpaste and rub a small portion directly on bug bites. No sting and my kid’s complaining stops almost immediately!
4. Always Aloe
We try so hard to avoid sunburns, but if they do occur, it’s aloe to the rescue. I usually like to keep my aloe in the fridge so that it’s extra cool when going on painful burns. I have also squirted some of the aloe into fun shaped ice-cube trays to make ice cube aloe drops for rubbing on sore places!
5. Infused Ice Cubes for Summer Cocktails
While you have those ice trays out, make sure to liven up your cocktails this summer with infused ice cubes. We can all agree that there is nothing worse than a watered-down cocktail. Beat the heat and keep the flavor with several different options! Here are a few of my faves:
- Basil-Cucumber puree cubes: Combine water, cucumber, basil, a pinch of salt (mix in a blender and pour into the ice tray). Amazing with Mojitos or Caipirinha’s.
- Lemonade-Raspberry cubes: Melt two tablespoons of sugar into 1 cup of warm water then add 1/3 cup of lemon juice. Place a raspberry into each ice cube tray followed by a sprig of mint. Pour lemonade in and freeze. These are delicious in spiked lemonade, seltzers, etc.
- Cucumber cubes: Chop up cucumbers and place them in trays with added water. Freeze and enjoy in a variety of drinks, including gin and tonics, vodka clubs, etc.
Don’t have an ice cube tray? Cut up pieces of watermelon into cubes, place on a baking sheet and freeze. Voila! You have watermelon “iced” cubes for any fruity drink!
6. Water Balloon Cooler
We’ve all wrestled with our coolers at the end of a great party only to find drinks swimming in a tub of gross water. Prevent the after-party hassle by filling up a bunch of water balloons and freezing them. Once frozen, place inside of cooler and simply throw them away or at each other at the end of the day.
7. Flip Flop Saver
You know those annoying bread tags that come on the top of a loaf? They are virtually impossible to get back on once removed. Before you toss it in the trash, these annoying pieces of plastic actually are great at saving flip flops! Place them on the bottom of your flip flips in-between the hole and the circle that juts out. This will prevent those pesky flip flops from coming apart.